grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 Sparc

From: Bart Grantham
Subject: Re: GRUB2 Sparc
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:14:24 -0400

Marco Gerards wrote:
Bart Grantham <address@hidden> writes:

Didn't want to pollute the list with my dumb questions, so this is
addressed only to you. :)

You can send anything related to GRUB2 to grub-devel, don't worry
about that.  The advantage of a mailinglist is that everyone can
reply.

Ok.  Replied to list.

Is this to say that an f-code bootsector is underway (or maybe even
complete)?

At the moment only Vincent is working on the sparc specific part of
GRUB 2.  I think making GRUB 2 actually useful on the sparc is of
higher priority to him (for example writing a linux loader).  Would
you like to help us writing a f-code bootsector?

Well, I did halfway learn Forth a couple years ago in an attempt to port my hobby OS over to sparc, and I have both an Ultra 5 and a Blue&White Mac G3, so I can do some cross-platform testing. Desite this, I find it hard to believe I'm the most qualified of this crowd to do this. ;)

Let me think about it some. I'd be in WAY over my head, as I haven't really thought through how the f-code<->grub2 interface would be structured. Are there any docs or thoughts on this from the group? How is the direct stage1 -> stage2 process being handled on x86 without the stage1.5 middleman? Specifically, how are you handling different filesystem structures in the boot sector?

Bart