grub-devel

Re: 2Marco Gerards (important info)

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: 2Marco Gerards (important info)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:46:25 +0200

Ruslan Nikolaev <address@hidden> writes:

> Just want to inform you about other problems.
>
> Please note that all other testings (expect for OBJCOPY) during
> configure _MUST_ BE DONE in 64-bit mode compiling. Otherwise I had
> problems with Linux w/o 32-bit support (there are problems with
> building because I haven't 32-bit libraries and so on).
>
> OBJCOPY test can be done in 32-bit mode compiling. Otherwise i386 test
> will fail. There is no problems. It compiles properly in 32-bit mode
> even if you haven't 32-bit libraries.
>
> FOR MORE INFO SEE MY PATCH. IT OVERRIDES CC and keep original value in
> CC_ARCH (for building utilities as 64-bit files) !!!!!!! AFTER ALL
> TESTINGS EXPECT "OBJCOPY test".

Most tests just test if it compiles.  AFAIK only the REGPARAM_BUG test
checks if it runs.  We can test for that.  But this is a bug not just
related to the AMD64, it is also the case when cross-compiling, I
think?  So this bug already exists, this is just one scenario that
triggers this bug, right?

> !!!!! It's really too hard to make patch without saving and restoring
> CC and LD because you also need to make configure tests for x86_64
> separately and more routine works.  That is why my patch just
> overrides settings and then restores settings for building utilities.

I am not sure about that yet.

I will check in my patch later this evening.  After that I will have a
look at the REGPARAM issue.  I will try to test if it will build on a
system without 32 bits libraries installed.

--
Marco