grub-devel

Re: 2Marco Gerards (new)

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: 2Marco Gerards (new)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:16:24 +0200

Ruslan Nikolaev <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ruslan,

> Because it requires to build 32-bit file. As I said before this patch
> will work even the OS can't load 32-bit executables at all. I'm not
> sure about compiling it as a 64-bit file because it generates another
> code; moreover x86_64 accepts regparam=6. Perhaps it would detect
> bug... but who knows?

Well, right.  If we can't test it, we should just assume the worst
case scenario.  That means we should assume the bug is there if we can
not test for it.

I can make this change and will commit my patch tomorrow.  Any further
improvements from that point on are more than welcome.  For me it is
just important that CVS works because I have some GRUB 2 trees here
that I want to test and all don't compile so it is making progress
from my side slow...

>> ...  But I am not sure if we want a 64 bits multiboot and what is
>> involved with changing multiboot that way. I leave that to Okuji.
>
> I can't understand what you mean. If it is support for ELF64 multiboot
> then it already presents in GRUB (see multiboot.c file).  If it is
> ELF64 multiboot & switching to 64-bit mode then it is MISTAKE because
> it requires enabling paging and it's not clear at all.  If it is
> 64-bit version of GRUB utilities then my patch already provides it

What I mean is that multiboot is a standard.  I think we can not
modify GRUB without modifying the standard.  But perhaps I am just
mistaken because I do not know enough about the subject.

--
Marco