grub-devel

Re: vesafb terminal for testing.

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: vesafb terminal for testing.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:00:37 +0200

On Sunday 18 September 2005 11:03 pm, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> Sorry it took a bit longer to check those out, but after returning from
> my vacation it took some time to get back to normal day life.

Presumably you didn't sleep enough in your airplain...

> I would like to know why did you add checking for reserved bit (D1) in
> grub2/commands/i386/pc/vbeinfo.c around line 88. There is some notes
> about this bit in standard (VBE 3.0, page 33, top of page) that tells
> that after VBE 1.2 this field has always contained value 1. In light of
> this I do not see need to verify for this?

This is two different views for the same thing. :)

Since it says that D1 is always 1, I want to make sure that it is really 1.
That's it.

> Also there was small semantic change in grub_vbe_probe, now if user
> provides info_block parameter, it will always call VESA BIOS to get
> information even though this would be cached in second run. I have no
> problem with this, but out of curiosity, was there some reason for this
> change?

As I wrote in ChangeLog, you cannot reuse the information block over multiple
BIOS calls, because that region resides at a BIOS data area, and it is
overwritten in next call. In fact, vbeinfo didn't show correct modes, until I
fixed it.

But, according to Subdino, vbetest does not run twice correctly. So there must
be still something I looked over.

Okuji