grub-devel

Re: vesafb terminal for testing.

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: vesafb terminal for testing.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:03:31 +0300

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Sunday 14 August 2005 16:48, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
>> On Sunday 14 August 2005 13:52, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
>>> I have attached patch here that adds simple terminal that uses VESA BIOS
>>> Extension 2.0+ for rendering terminal. It is not meant to be included as
>>> is in GRUB 2, but I would hope that people would test it, so I could try
>>> to improve it for greater compatibility (even though I have tried to
>>> follow the standards, there might be some glitches between
>>> implementations).
>> That's great. I will try once I finish my current task.
>
> So I tested it and fixed/modified many things.

Sorry it took a bit longer to check those out, but after returning from
my vacation it took some time to get back to normal day life.

Most of the changes were good ones.

I would like to know why did you add checking for reserved bit (D1) in
grub2/commands/i386/pc/vbeinfo.c around line 88. There is some notes
about this bit in standard (VBE 3.0, page 33, top of page) that tells
that after VBE 1.2 this field has always contained value 1. In light of
this I do not see need to verify for this?

Also there was small semantic change in grub_vbe_probe, now if user
provides info_block parameter, it will always call VESA BIOS to get
information even though this would be cached in second run. I have no
problem with this, but out of curiosity, was there some reason for this
change?

> I changed the command names to vbeinfo and vbetest. More compatible with the
> traditional GRUB's naming scheme.

Ok.

> Also, you needed to use GRUB's error handling. In GRUB 2, the error is not
> only a constant value, but also a message. So, whenever appropriate, you
> should use the function grub_error. (This is a big improvement from GRUB
> Legacy, really.)

Thanks for informing me about that.

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen