grub-devel

Re: x86 serial support

From: Omniflux
Subject: Re: x86 serial support
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 18:59:20 -0600

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> For now, terminfo.c has code of interpreting terminfo, but supports only
> vt100. Do you intend to fix this?

Yes, but I do not know how I should do this. As the comment in the file
says...

  /* TODO
   * Lookup user specified terminfo type (escape code table). If found,
set term variables
   * as appropriate. Otherwise return an error.
   *
   * How should this be done?
   *  a. A static table included in this module.
   *     - I do not like this idea.
   *  b. A table stored in the configuration directory.
   *     - Users must convert their terminfo settings if we have not
already.
   *  c. Look for terminfo files in the configuration directory.
   *     - /usr/share/terminfo is 6.3M on my system.
   *     - /usr/share/terminfo is not on most users boot partition.
   *     + Copying the terminfo files you want to use to the grub
   *       configuration directory is easier then (b).
   *  d. Your idea here.
   */

Option 'a' is certainly the easiest, but how do I choose which terminals
to support? How do I test them?

Option 'b', choosing which terminals and testing them is no longer my
problem, but this moves all the burden onto the user.

Option 'c', problems as listed above.

If you would like to choose one of these methods, or come up with option
'd', I'll implement it.

--
Omniflux