grub-devel

Re: Graphic calls portability

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Graphic calls portability
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:54:17 +0200

Vincent Pelletier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Vincent,

> Now the point of my mail :
> Couldn't we make a common interface for all graphic calls, so the
> graphic commands would be in /commands ?
> The needed commands would be the ones already defined in
> video/i386/pc/vbe.c with those changes :
> -Add a function to list the available framebuffers

Agreed.

> -Allow to specify the framebuffer to open

We need a framebuffer terminal.  It should be possible to pass a
argument to it which framebuffer it uses.  Some systems have multiple
framebuffers, or multiple ways to access the same video hardware (for
example VGA, ATI and OF, those can be all used to access the same
hardware).

> -Add a framebuffer handles (like file handles) for later use in
> framebuffer functions

Can you explain this?  You mean we need an object for this?

> Exact prototypes to be defined, but if someone works on them, please
> consider 64 bits archs :) .

What makes 64 bits archs special?

--
Marco