grub-devel

Re: vesafb terminal for testing.

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: vesafb terminal for testing.
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:48:38 +0200

On Sunday 14 August 2005 16:48, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Sunday 14 August 2005 13:52, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
> > I have attached patch here that adds simple terminal that uses VESA BIOS
> > Extension 2.0+ for rendering terminal. It is not meant to be included as
> > is in GRUB 2, but I would hope that people would test it, so I could try
> > to improve it for greater compatibility (even though I have tried to
> > follow the standards, there might be some glitches between
> > implementations).
>
> That's great. I will try once I finish my current task.

So I tested it and fixed/modified many things.

I changed the command names to vbeinfo and vbetest. More compatible with the
traditional GRUB's naming scheme.

There were issues about the coding style. For example, a function definition
must not be like this:

int
foo(int x)

but:

int
foo (int x)

Note the space character. This is the same for casts.

Also, you needed to use GRUB's error handling. In GRUB 2, the error is not
only a constant value, but also a message. So, whenever appropriate, you
should use the function grub_error. (This is a big improvement from GRUB
Legacy, really.)

Please compare the files after my changes with yours for more details.

For now, I tested it only with qemu, and haven't tested the vesafb terminal
yet.

Okuji