grub-devel

Re: vesafb terminal for testing.

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: vesafb terminal for testing.
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:52:56 +0300

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Sunday 14 August 2005 23:48, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
>> As far I know, GRUB 2 doesn't support dynamic loading of function entry
>> points, instead there are only two predefined entry points that can be
>> called from modules so there has to be some interface for those if they
>> are not implemented in kernel level. And it would be bad to duplicate
>> that code in several places.
>
> Nope. GRUB 2 supports real dynamic loading. Entry points are used only when
> we
> want to allow symbols to be missing. So you need to implement code in the
> kernel only if it requires real mode or it is a critical function.

Impressive I must say :)

It was even transparent.

Now only problem is what is the best location for vbe.c that would
contain helper functions for modules that needs VBE. Currently I have it
in term/i386/pc/vbe.c but is there better location for this? And is
GRUB_MOD_INIT and GRUB_MOD_FINI mandory as I do not have need for those
in this module? Seems to work without them.

Is the file include/grub/i386/pc/vbe.h correct place to put function
prototypes?

Is directory commands/i386/pc/ correct place for commands vbe_list_modes
and vbe_test?

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen