grub-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] Scripts and menus

From: Vladimir Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Scripts and menus
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:53:40 +0200

Douglas Wade Needham wrote:

>The problem with your idea is that it at least appears to be too
>Linux-centric, and forgets entirely about other operating systems,
>invalidating the "unified" part of the GRUB name.  And I get fed up
>when on my machine which as FC3 has one of the OSes (along with NetBSD
>and several others), up2date ignores the fact that FC3 **is not** the
>default.

Why linux centric? Scripting is an universal thing. If you speak
about

for x in /boot/vmlinuz-*; [...]
it was just an example.

"Menu modules" are also general thing. Lilo-like menu was also an example
but it could also be used with other OS that linux (other loaders can
also check for additional commands).
About menu-entry syntax - I see nothing linux-centric

Or don't I understand something?

      Vladimir