grub-devel

Re: x86 serial support

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: x86 serial support
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:17:49 +0200

On Friday 12 August 2005 18:01, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Why can't we use a menu?  Is it really that slow to update the menu
> over a serial console?

In a dumb terminal, the problem is that there is no way to go back to a
previous line.

Honestly, I do not want to support dumb terminals. They are rarely used
nowadays, even though the maintenance cost of an independent menu interface
is quite high. Today, even fancy serial terminals are also disappearing.
Since most embedded systems have ethernet interfaces, the future will be net
console rather than serial console.

Okuji