grub-devel

Re: [DISCUSSION] Journal playback

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Journal playback
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:14:03 +0200

Vladimir Serbinenko <address@hidden> writes:

> It'll give for sure considerable amount of work but the question if
> it'll give real advantages?  Journaling was made to keep *FS* from
> the corruption. *Not* the data. So even if data needed by GRUB is
> corrupted (that is not very probable because kernels, initrds and
> GRUB data) there is a high probability that journaling will simply
> remove this corrupted data. On the other hand it can perhaps create
> strange bugs and make maintnaining harde

Right, I know what journaling is used for.  But this makes it possible
to boot from a corrupted filesystem that can not be used without
journaling support.

About how hard it is, we will see about it when we will work on it.
It is not an important feature; at least not to me.  But it is
something we have to keep in mind because, unlike lilo, GRUB does
depend on the consistency of the metadata.

--
Marco