grub-devel

Re: Bug-fixing and keystroke

From: Serbinenko Vladimir
Subject: Re: Bug-fixing and keystroke
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:11:02 +0200

>On Saturday 30 July 2005 15:20, Serbinenko Vladimir wrote:
>>/ I wrote some bugfixing patch + new feature./
>
>Thank you very much. I have applied only the bugfixes at the moment.

OK

>>/ The new feature is sending keystroke to OS (imitating keypress +/
>>/ changing keyboard flags)./
>>/ it works like:/
>>/     keystroke [flags] [keys]/
>
>This is specific to i386-pc, so the source file should be put in
>commands/i386/pc.

Fixed

>I'm also wondering if this command name is good or not. In QEMU, the same
>feature is called "sendkey". I'm not sure which is better.

For me it makes no difference but if other apps use "sendkey" it would be
better make standardly

>Another question I have is that it might be better to implement this as a
>variable rather than a command. Basically, this command just stores
>information rathen than executing something directly. So using a variable
>sounds intuitive for me.
>
>What do you think?

I propose one "sendkey" variable and bunch of kb_* variables like kb_caps,
kb_scroll, kb_rshift, kb_noleds ...
Is it OK?
Then 2 questions arise:
1) Which values would be intuitive for kb_*?What about keep, on, off?
2) How can user call the help? Especially how can user know the available keys?
Perhaps this question is more
 general and we have to extend "help" command?

>Okuji

Vladimir Serbinenko