grub-devel

Re: sparc64 port : diffs to powerpc branches

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: sparc64 port : diffs to powerpc branches
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:59:53 +0200

Vincent Pelletier <address@hidden> writes:

> Marco Gerards wrote:
>> This is an important test.  Please do not remove it so this code can
>> be shared.  Just make sure GRUB_IEEE1275_FLAG_NO_PARTITION_0 is set or
>> not set, depending on how OB works.
>
> No problem, I removed it to show that it isn't needed for usparc.

Ok, but it should be restored for the final patch.

>> Can this be done in a way that we can share most (all?) headers
>> related to ieee 1275?
>
> I think so, except for some special function, like the term colour one
> (I don't think usparc can change colour... Or at least not the same way
> ppc does.)

In that case the usparc port needs a GRUB_IEEE1275_FLAG_... to
indicate it is not possible to change colors or that it works
differently.

>>>Changed some suspicious "&string" to just "string".
>
> Some function with  void * arguments were actualy receiving char *[].
> There was no warning about it, but I think there was a leak.
> I changed them to char * (dynamically allocated, see next remark :) ).

It sounds ok to me.

>>>Added malloc calls when size can be known.
>> Nice!
>
> More can be done, I haven't done it everywhere.

They should all be changed, but it is not that important for this
port.  It is something that should be done in general.

>> Can you write the code so it works on both the PPC and sparc so this
>> code can be shared?  Some code you disabled like this has a function
>> on the PPC, IIRC.
>
> I think that function works on usparc (not sure though) but as it is not
> used at all, I commented it (to get some remarks about it so I can guess
> what it's used for :) ).

Ehm, ok, please ask specific questions if you have them. :)

>>>Remove ppc specific partition numbering thing.
>> Can you explain this?
>
> It seems that ppc numbers his partitions a special way (ruled by a flag,
> so we can make it common to both if the flag is correctly set).

Right.

>> When you implement this, you can support switching from normal to
>> rescue mode and back properly.
>
> There should be a bug in the x86 implementation, that would explain the
> unaligned pointer I get when switching to rescue mode from normal mode.

Perhaps...  Can you put the bug report on the wiki so we will not
forget about it?

>> grub-mkimage is used to add modules to grubof.
>
> So this works, sun partition label & ext2 is read.

You did not load ext2 as a module, but linked it into the binary.
I assume you did not use grub-mkimage yet...

>> Do you want me to fully review the complete patch or was it just a
>> reference for your description?
>
> I think you shouldn't. Once the common parts will have been extracted a
> real patch with changelog will be edited.

Ok, cool.  I am looking forwards to that patch.

Thanks,
Marco