grub-devel

Re: sparc64 port : diffs to powerpc branches

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: sparc64 port : diffs to powerpc branches
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:40:08 +0200

Vincent Pelletier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Vincent,

> Here are the diffs powerpc -> usparc, with some comments below.
> To be used to know which files can be made common.

Nice!

> All the ieee1275 functions use the grub_intn_t type (see includes).

So this can be shared.

> Add explicit casts where needed.

> disk:
> Special ppc test removed.

This is an important test.  Please do not remove it so this code can
be shared.  Just make sure GRUB_IEEE1275_FLAG_NO_PARTITION_0 is set or
not set, depending on how OB works.

> Types changed.
>
> include:
> ieee1275 functions prototypes updated.
> Add explicit casts where needed.
> Special ppc structs removed.
> multiboot.h, libgcc removed (weren't modified).
> Types length modified.

Can this be done in a way that we can share most (all?) headers
related to ieee 1275?

> kern:
> New dummy function (no asm).
> dl updated to 64 bits ELF, but I'm not sure where it is used...

You have to write the relocator first.  It is used for module loading.

> Changed "abort" to use "enter" OF standard function : now it *does*
> return when the user types "go" at the OF prompt.

Perhaps we can do this on the PPC port as well?

> Changed some suspicious "&string" to just "string".

hm?

> Added malloc calls when size can be known.

Nice!

> Removed "XXX" when documentation answers.

Nice!

> Disabled (#if 0) unused function.

Can you write the code so it works on both the PPC and sparc so this
code can be shared?  Some code you disabled like this has a function
on the PPC, IIRC.

> Remove ppc specific partition numbering thing.

Can you explain this?

> normal:
> New dummy function (no asm).

When you implement this, you can support switching from normal to
rescue mode and back properly.

> term:
> Type changes.
> Added an environment variable to disable cls (useful to see early messages).

Ok.

> util:
> Brute changes... Like dl, I don't know when it is used, so...

grub-mkimage is used to add modules to grubof.

Do you want me to fully review the complete patch or was it just a
reference for your description?

Thanks,
Marco