grub-devel

Re: FIXME: These should be dynamically obtained from a terminal.

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: FIXME: These should be dynamically obtained from a terminal.
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 01:05:54 +0200

On Sunday 03 July 2005 23:06, Vincent Pelletier wrote:
> -add an asm function to get the current vga mode without changing it (or
> maybe a global var to keep the current vga mode)

Probably it is better to keep the current mode in a variable. It is not funny
to go back to real mode every time.

> -add a field in struct grub_term
> -implement this function in different terminal handlers
> -implement grub_getwh
> -redefine GRUB_TERM_WIDTH & GRUB_TERM_HEIGHT macros to use grub_getwh

Sound good.

> Here are my questions :
> Should we foresee, in vga mode, that the user might someday choose his
> vga mode ?

No. Since the BIOS does not provide the geometry for each VGA mode, we must
maintain a table in that case. And, the table differs among video cards. So I
do not want to allow the user to change it to an arbitrary mode.

What we really need is to support VESA. The screen of the VGA mode is too
small to do fancy stuff.

> Should we redefine all the macros we use to draw the menu to be less
> intensive on grub_getwh ?

We need to call grub_getwh only once. Possibly in grub_menu_init_page.

> In the attached patch, the vga function is disabled, because for now the
> asm function does not work (returns always 0). As I'm really not
> familiar with x86 asm, I think I had something wrong adapting from
> grub_vga_set_mode.

As the VGA mode is hardcoded, you can hardcode the geometry in vga.c as well.

BTW, is the VGA terminal working well? Since Marco changed the mode to 0x10
from 0x12, the screen is a bit smaller than before, and I'm not sure if the
menu entry editor works with this.

Okuji