grub-devel

Re: Broken A20 gate handling (about GPL)

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Broken A20 gate handling (about GPL)
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:13:32 +0200

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> We prefer assigning copyright to the FSF, but this does not mean that we may
> not use others' code. The important thing is that we must carefully treat who
> owns which code, so we must separate code into different files when we reuse
> code written for other projects.
>
> This is only _my preference_, but I would like to keep critical parts of GRUB
> owned solely by the FSF. So, for example, I do not care about the copyright
> of a filesystem very much, but I do care about the copyright of bootstrap
> code.
>
> In the case of the A20, I'm not sure how I want to implement it. It is not
> that bad to use syslinux code, because we have our own alternative. However,
> this code is very critical, and I prefer writing our own code. After all, my
> opinion looks like the same as Marco. :p

I am sorry that I confused some of you.  My answer was not that clear,
hopefully with this reply it is a bit clearer.

The FSF makes a clear distinction.  In the case of a library or so it
can be integrated, like it was done with LZO.  The A20 code is not a
library.  To put a lot of code from all kinds of projects in separate
files is not what I prefer.

Thanks,
Marco