grub-devel

Broken A20 gate handling

From: Ludovic Drolez
Subject: Broken A20 gate handling
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:33:02 +0200

Hi !

Recently I tried to use grub(2) with a compaq evo D510. These boxes do not seem to have a keyboard controller, so grub freeze in gatea20().

Most free bootloaders fail, but one is okay: syslinux/isolinux.

I've taken a look at syslinux's code, and indeed A20 activation is done much more carefully than in grub, and more tricks are used.

I think it's really important to fix grub's code (by stealing code from isolinux ?), because more and more PCs without a good old keyboard controller will hit the market.

Are there any plans to improve gatea20() ? (Moreover, grub2's code for gatea20 is even worse than grub-legacy)

Regards,

--
Ludovic DROLEZ