grub-devel

Re: free magic is broken

From: Vincent Guffens
Subject: Re: free magic is broken
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:19:16 +0200

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Wednesday 22 June 2005 23:13, Vincent Guffens wrote:

I have prepared a small web page with some details as it is a little bit
long to explain here. See it there if you want more information:

http://www.auto.ucl.ac.be/~guffens/grub2_netboot/free_magic_broken.html

Thank you very much for your analysis! I finally understood what's wrong, and checked in a fix (a bit different from yours). I guess it was very hard to find how to reproduce this bug.

Okuji

yes, it was good fun (and a long night)! I managed to post a wrong test version yesterday. In the test program, this is not

grub_malloc(base->first->size*(16-1));

but

grub_malloc(base->first->size*16-16);

Although it turns out to be equivalent as far as the bug is concerned, in this particular example.

It is good to have that nasty one behind !

--
                                Vincent Guffens
                                PhD Student UCL/CESAME