grub-devel

netboot and memory problem : solved ?

From: Vincent Guffens
Subject: netboot and memory problem : solved ?
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:52:24 +0200

hi !

what do you think about the following change in grub_free ?

Instead of (at the end of the function)

  if (p + p->size == p->next)
  {
    p->next->magic = 0;
    p->size += p->next->size;
    p->next = p->next->next;
  }
[...]
r->first = q;

I tried the following

  if (p + p->size == p->next)
  {
    p->next->magic = 0;
    p->size += p->next->size;
    p->next = p->next->next;
    r->first = p;
    return;
  }

as a reminder, my problem was that sometimes, grub2 would fataly print (error message from grub_free):

free magic is broken at 0x37e50: 0x0

I'm quite sure that my problem is linked with that region of the code, but I'm not too sure about the consequences of that possible fix.

At least, I can't repoduce the problem on my pc but I'll do some more testing on monday as this problem is kind of "volatile".

I hope it's the one ! Have a good week-end !

--
                                Vincent Guffens
                                PhD Student UCL/CESAME