grub-devel

Re: network support : memory management problem

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: network support : memory management problem
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:56:30 +0200

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 15:48, Vincent Guffens wrote:
> but depending on where in the code I free my data blocks, I sometimes
> get a  "free magic is broken" fatal error msg from grub_free().

Usually, it is due to a buffer overrun or underrun.

> Does someone has an idea ? Is there some documentation available about
> the mm in grub2 ?

It is a typical (simple) malloc implementation. You can look at any textbook
or web site about heap management to get ideas. The extensions are to always
use magic to detect overrun / underrun, and to support multiple
non-contiguous free regions. Have a look at the code. It is very small.

Okuji