grub-devel

Re: Debugging

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: Debugging
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:11:59 -0500

On May 13, 2005, at 7:05 PM, Scott Becker wrote:

On the two servers I've installed RHEL 4 on, I've had trouble with grub. It's the combination of grub and the new I2O_block driver. I suspect the grub patch to support I2O is lacking.

Are you referring to a particular patch?

I was wondering if Grub 0.95 or 2.0 has a facility to trace the changes being made when grub-install is being ran. After an install or an update I had to run grub-install to get it to boot again. In theory, this shouldn't be neccessary. Since it was, I thought it would be useful to be able to compare the areas of the disk written to during grub-install with what was written there before so that I could trace down the problem.

I don't see anything like that in GRUB2's grub-setup.c, but it is a good idea.

I also don't see anything like that in GRUB Legacy's "grub". You could always strace...

-Hollis