grub-devel

Re: Fwd: memory probing

From: alfred hitch
Subject: Re: Fwd: memory probing
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 03:47:58 -0400

Hi Doug,

thanks a lot for your explanation, it explains quite well now to me
the x86 arch.

Ok coming back to the discussion, sau bios reads this info from north
bridge, north bridge gets this across reboots from memory module using
i2c.

so, basically the info is coming from the memory chip ?
We are using micron chips /banks and I just checked their data sheet,
I dont see any such register there ..
I see only memory init sequences etc ..

In IXP data sheet memory controller section mentions only one register
saying size and that is being overwritten by value from bootloader
(hard coded compile time #define)
2 other registes are to talk to / initiate state machine of dram init
seq, etc ..

Seem to me a dead wall ahead -;)

Alfred

So, I am feeling now that this plattform