grub-devel

Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [patch] set prefix on PPC
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:32:31 -0500

On Apr 17, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

Updated patch which uses devaliases.

On my pegasos the devalias is looked up perfectly for both ethernet
and the harddisk. :)

+  if (partition)
+    {
+      unsigned int partno = grub_strtoul (partition, 0, 0);
+      partno--; /* GRUB partition numbering is 0-based.  */

On my pegasos the partition numbering is 0-based as well.

Are you sure? This behavior is not CHRP-compliant. The spec is quite clear in that regard:
        11.1.2. Open Method Algorithm
If the partition component is present, it selects the desired partition, where partition 0 refers to the entire disk, partition 1 refers to the first partition,
        partition 2 to the second, and so forth.

Instead, perhaps our MS-DOS partition map enumeration differs from the firmware's. In that case, firmware would not be "0-based", but simply different.

This deserves further investigation. I will see what my briQ does, but not tonight. I think that this failure on Pegasos does not warrant delaying the prefix patch further, since the patch does not break any existing functionality and adds important functionality on Macs. Can Pegasos be fixed later?

So when I run `boot hd:4 grub2', I get `prefix=(hd,3)'.  This should be
`prefix=(hd,4)'.  So my pegasos has proven me right already about what
I said about firmware. :-/

If this is the case we will need another flag for grub_ieee1275_flags.

-Hollis