grub-devel

Re: partition numbering

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: partition numbering
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:23:48 -0500

On Apr 17, 2005, at 12:44 PM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

If GRUB counts partition numbers different than Open Firmware, I
consider this a bug that must be fixed. 0-based partition numbers are
quite confusing enough.

And I do not consider that a bug.  We can not confirm to the way every
OS/firmware implementation numbers its partitions.  This is *not*
about 0-basic partition numbers, but about how the same things can be
handled differently.  We can adapt to the most popular
implementations.  But I am sure things will fail someday.

I agree we cannot match OS device names and numbering, though it would make users' lives much happier if we did. Actually, to brainstorm for a minute, what if we could install GRUB with a different device naming scheme per OS? Booting different OSs would then be a problem, but what about making each scheme easily distinguishable? For example, use "(linux:hda3)" or "(bsd:disk1s2)"?

Anyways, GRUB, as a bootloader that uses firmware services, surely must match firmware names and numbering. For example, on x86 you identify disks as "hd0" and "hd1" because this is how the firmware enumerates them.

-Hollis