grub-devel

Re: CC not honoured in build system

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: CC not honoured in build system
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:24:45 +0200

Jeff Bailey <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Jeff,

The right mailinglist for discussing GRUB 2 is grub-devel.  Please
send a CC to Jeff because he might not be subscribed.

> Building grub2 from CVS around April 1st doesn't respect either
> command-line CC settings, or the detected CC from autoconf.  The first
> part of the build goes fine:

[...]

> gcc -Icommands -I./commands -I. -Iinclude -I./include -Wall -W
> -DGRUB_DATADIR=\"/usr/share/grub/powerpc-ieee1275\" -g -O2 -DGRUB_UTIL=1
> -c -o grub_emu-commands_ls.o commands/ls.c
> commands/ls.c: In function ‘grub_ls_list_files’:
> commands/ls.c:107: erreur: invalid storage class for function
> ‘print_files’
> commands/ls.c:115: erreur: invalid storage class for function
> ‘print_files_long’commands/ls.c: In function ‘grub_cmd_ls’:
> commands/ls.c:223: erreur: invalid storage class for function
> ‘grub_ls_print_files’
> make[1]: *** [grub_emu-commands_ls.o] Erreur 1
>
> (I'm doing this because grub fails to build with gcc-4.  It appears to
> be trying to use nested functions or something in some way that gcc-4
> doesn't like.)

It is related to nested functions.  For example there is this nested
function:

static int grub_ls_print_files (const char *filename, int dir)
{
}

I think this should be:

auto int grub_ls_print_files (const char *filename, int dir);

int grub_ls_print_files (const char *filename, int dir)
{

}

> From looking at the Makefile, it looks like it's using BUILD_CC instead
> of CC (which is set correctly).  I don't speak Ruby, so I can't go any
> further than that.

I have tested this and it seems to be fixed when using my patch:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2005-04/msg00048.html

When this patch is committed and the build errors are fixed, I will
contact you about it.

Thanks,
Marco