grub-devel

Re: Test GRUB2 compiled by MingW

From: Hanzac Chen
Subject: Re: Test GRUB2 compiled by MingW
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 06:51:56 +0800

Hi,

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Friday 01 April 2005 06:49 pm, Marco Gerards wrote:

This is not normal.  Perhaps there is still a problem with the
compiler or linker or so.  MingW is just a modified gcc, right?

I think this is normal. IIRC, Windows does not use ELF, while GRUB 2 depends on ELF.

Yes, MingW generates COFF and if using COFF, the GCC/binutils can't use
some of GAS's directive, like section switch. (I found GRUB using that
in its module loading mechanism.)

Maybe I still don't understand it well.

How much else does GRUB 2 depend on ELF?

BYE,
Hanzac