grub-devel

Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:27:00 +0000

Serbinenko Vladimir <address@hidden> writes:

> Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
>
>>On Monday 07 February 2005 15:43, Serbinenko Vladimir wrote:
>>

>>>private. The other problem is the mails: the patch is quite big and
>>>is blocked somewhere (I sent it to grub-devel but haven't received).
>>>If somebody is interested he can send me private e-email and I'll
>>>send the patch in private
>>>

>>Please don't send it by e-mail here. Is it difficult for you to put the
>>patch somewhere? If you have no public place yourself, you can use
>>Savannah.
>>

> Here it is http://phcoder.narod.ru/bash.diff. I know that it's slow
> hosting but I haven't received the confirmation e-mail from faster one yet

I had a quick look at the patch for now.  Can you please explain in a
new thread how the patch globally works?  I will reply about the other
issues there as well.

There are still some things I would like to know:

- Why does everything happen with strings?

- Why are that many functions duplicated? (for example
  grub_bash_dupstr).

- What is that huge table with operators?  What kind of parser is it?
  I have never seen this in a top-down or bottom-up parser I have
  studied.

- How does the parser in general work?  So can you explain what
  happens when executing a script?  First you load the file.  Do you
  parse it, make pcode of it, run it directly?  How about error
  handling?

Thanks,
Marco