grub-devel

Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting

From: Marc-Jano Knopp
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:37:44 +0100

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 at 15:34 (+0100), Serbinenko Vladimir wrote:
> Marc-Jano Knopp wrote:

> >>I prefer to execute it when a shortcut key is pressed. Why not?
> >
> >Because then it would not be possible to edit menu items blindly.
> >For example, I could not blindly add boot parameters to the Linux
> >kernel (runlevel, root=<whatever>, etc.) to override the default
> >settings (which I do, indeed, e.g. for my SCSI testing machine
> >which varying disks with varying partition layout connected, so that
> >fixed menu items don't help).
> >
> I think the best choice to do it is to bind a key like C-p to add
> parameters to the entry. Then theese parameters will be accessible as
> $1, $2, ... ($0 is a label of menu entry)

Accessible to whom or what?

My scenario would be something like this:

1. Hit 's' to enter select-menu-entry-by-name mode (optional)
2. Type "linux" and hit [Return] to select (not execute) menu item
   "Linux 2.4"
3. Hit 'e' to edit. Now the cursor could be at the end of the line
   by default, so that I just need to type for example:
4. " root=/dev/sdf" [Return]
5. Hit [Return] again (or 'b') to boot.

Best regards

  Marc-Jano