grub-devel

Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting

From: Serbinenko Vladimir
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access && scripting
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:34:44 +0100

Marc-Jano Knopp wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 at 10:38 (+0100), Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
On Thursday 10 February 2005 22:51, Marc-Jano Knopp wrote:
But as your mail left a few things open (Select or execute? Normal
keys or keys with modifier? Single-letter-keys or strings?), the
discussion about this would have had to be continued anyway. :-)
I prefer to execute it when a shortcut key is pressed. Why not?

Because then it would not be possible to edit menu items blindly.
For example, I could not blindly add boot parameters to the Linux
kernel (runlevel, root=<whatever>, etc.) to override the default
settings (which I do, indeed, e.g. for my SCSI testing machine
which varying disks with varying partition layout connected, so that
fixed menu items don't help).

I think the best choice to do it is to bind a key like C-p to add parameters to the entry. Then theese parameters will be accessible as $1, $2, ... ($0 is a label of menu entry)