grub-devel

Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] LILO-like direct menu item access
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:20:38 +0000

Marc-Jano Knopp <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm only an end user, but didn't find another way to suggest something
> for GRUB 2 except for this mailing list, so here we go:

This is the right list for anything related to GRUB 2. :)

> There is one reason I do not employ GRUB everywhere: With LILO, you
> can blindly select a specific menu item, which you cannot with GRUB
> (at least with GRUB 0.92).
>
> I can assign numbers or different letters to the LILO menu items and so
> directly and blindly access them, independently from the current
> selection bar position, not having to switch on a monitor (or even
> actually have one attached). And at least a year ago or so, I could not
> find anything in the GRUB documentation to make this work.
>
> Now, while you're at it, could you add such a feature to GRUB 2?
> Especially having letters to select menu items would be very helpful
> (l = Linux, f = FreeBSD, n = NetBSD, d = DOS, ...).

It's a nice feature to have, but perhaps this can be made more
generic.  For example, people have requested support for other ways to
control the menu and select an item.  For example it could be made
possible to use a remote control or so.

The remote control is a silly example (ehm, right?) but the keyboard
should not be the only way to select a menu entry directly.  So I hope
the feature can be made a bit more generic *somehow*.

It's a feature I would personally like and I have seen requests for
such feature or features like this before.  If no one does not like
the feature, I will add it on the todo on the wiki later this week.

Thanks,
Marco