grub-devel

Re: Slow disk access

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Slow disk access
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 23:38:46 +0100

On Friday 04 February 2005 22:11, Marco Gerards wrote:
> The disk access on GRUB 2 is terribly slow.  At first I thought it
> was only a problem on the PPC, but it is also showing up in grub-emu
> and I guess on the PC as well.  You can notice the problem when
> reading in big files, like a big kernel.  Reading in a 20MB files
> takes 17 seconds.

I don't see such a problem with grub-emu on PC. I tested the current CVS
version. I made a hard disk image with ext2, put a 20MB file on it and
run "cat (hd0,0)/foo" with the output of cat disabled (I modified the
code). It took about 2 seconds on my laptop. Since my disk is really
slow, I think this is normal. I did this test after I "cat" two ISO
image files to /dev/null to flush the cache of the hard disk image.

So I guess it is specific to PowerPC.

Okuji