grub-devel

Re: device syntax again

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: device syntax again
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:38:39 -0600

On Jan 21, 2005, at 6:22 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

The 'alias' suggestion is not bad, but it is one extra annoyance. "You
can use Open Firmware device names in GRUB, unless they contain a
comma. If they contain a comma, you must create an alias first." I see
that as an implementation detail that users shouldn't have to think
about.

Right.  But if you allow a comma, you'll create an ugly exception and
I think the code shared between the archs get really ugly because of
this.

Yes, we're impacting users because doing the right thing would be difficult.

I agree that a non-trivial amount of code would need to change, but there is perhaps a simpler alternative: choosing a separator character for each architecture that is guaranteed by spec to be ok. For example:
        #define GRUB_DEVICE_SEPARATOR ',' // x86
        #define GRUB_DEVICE_SEPARATOR '|' // Open Firmware

-Hollis