grub-devel

Re: device syntax again

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: device syntax again
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:33:48 -0600

On Jan 19, 2005, at 4:06 AM, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

For instance, when I installed Debian GNU/Linux into my iBook, all I had
to learn was how to boot a CD-ROM from Open Firmware (pressing 'c' or
something like that). The other dirty jobs were done by yaboot and
ybin. So I didn't need to learn anything about the device syntax.

In my proposal, _you can still do that_.

The reason why I know Open Firmware somehow is simply because I studied
it intentionally when Gordon and I were thinking of porting GRUB to
other architectures (and I played Open Firmware with SparcStation and
PowerBook). For most people, there is no reason why they must learn
Open Firmware.

I agree, there is no reason. But people who want to can, and will enjoy the benefits.

Don't worry. I have experience with large systems, and I take it into
account. I think using disk labels is a good answer for your question.

Glad to hear it.

Please understand: I am not requiring users to learn the device tree. I am asking that users who already know the device tree can use it more easily. You can still hold down the 'c' key and never worry about it

The 'alias' suggestion is not bad, but it is one extra annoyance. "You can use Open Firmware device names in GRUB, unless they contain a comma. If they contain a comma, you must create an alias first." I see that as an implementation detail that users shouldn't have to think about.

-Hollis