grub-devel

Re: device syntax again

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: device syntax again
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:36:08 +0100

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 15:52, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> For now let's not talk about where aliases are created. What about my
> original question: grub has just booted, and when it asks what device
> it was booted from (the /chosen/bootpath property) it gets this:
>       /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden,0
> (that is the real "disk" device on Vincent's UltraSparc). The next
> thing we want to do is load a config file from the same device. What
> value should we put into "prefix"?

This has already been discussed. Marco suggested to have a "boot drive"
for this.

> Is the only reason you're suggesting this "alias" scheme is to keep
> the PC-style device syntax?

Don't call it "PC-style". This is not accurate. It is GRUB-style as _we_
define the syntax.

> 1) complexity and bugs in code to translate between the two,

Why? You can simply register a new device with a device path. What is
complex?

> 2) frustrating UI requirements ("no no, you have to run 'alias'
> first"), and

GRUB can automatically create aliases.

> 3) require users to learn yet another syntax.

We have already discussed this, and I got no objection to my opinion at
that time. I'm surprised that you refrain this.

Don't assume that ordinary users know Open Firmware or EFI. Basically,
they don't know anything quite technical. So GRUB should provide an
unique syntax rule so that users do not have to learn new things when
they get new architectures.

And, have you ever asked any ordinary person to
type /address@hidden,0/address@hidden,1/address@hidden/address@hidden,0 rather
than hd0? I'm sure that
she will be scared. In addition, this would make remote assistance very
hard. It should be easy to imagine how difficult it is to pronounce the
long and mysterios string by phone.

As far as I know, most people use /dev/hda instead
of /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc on Linux, whenever possible.
This is simply because shorter is easier. Ordinary people think "the
first IDE disk" instead of "the hard disk attached to the master of the
first IDE bus of the main controller". Don't you agree?

Okuji