grub-devel

Re: internal device representation

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: internal device representation
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:04:09 +0100

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 06:25, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> Nobody has replied to my previous mail about device syntax, so I will
> assume that means you all agree that I'm right about requiring
> different device syntaxes for different architectures. ;)

I don't agree. Sorry, I forgot to send a reply again.

You assume that aliases are made by a firmware, but I actually meant
that GRUB could make arbitrary aliases in itself, since GRUB has its
own device drivers. For example:

alias hd0 /path/to/a/device

This does not have to call Open Firmware, because GRUB itself can map
"hd0" to "/path/to/a/device" transparently.

I agree that you can use different naming conventions from architecture
to architecture, but I believe that the basic syntax should be the
same. For instance, I accept that you use "sd0" for a SCSI disk, which
is difficult on PC BIOS.

Okuji