grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 11

From: Serbinenko Vova
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 11, Issue 11
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:58:46 +0100

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:44:24 +0200 (EET)
From: Aki Tossavainen <address@hidden>
Subject: Feature suggestion to grub
To: address@hidden

This is something I've been wondering a while, but would it be possible to
build a "failsafe" system for grub which would work as follows:

When grub loads an image and starts it, it'll write into a well-known
location value (say: 0), which means that the boot has not succeeded. Then
the booted system could write using a tool into the same location a value
(say: 1), which means that the boot succeeded. If the computer is booted
before the value has been changed, grub would choose next option or
failsafe
option to boot.

Does this sound like something that could be made?

Aki Tossavainen
address@hidden

Now I'm writing script engine. In beta version(probably as plans are not yet fixed) after I'll write hooks and arrays support. I'll write the savedvars module (variables saved in file) and small C-tool to modify it from OS. You'll be able to use it to do so. Soon(I think Sunday) I'll mail my first(pre-alpha I suppose) version and we'll discuss about priorities for future versions

Vladimir Serbinenko
address@hidden
vovas at irc.gnu.org#grub