grub-devel

Re: Claim on IEEE1275

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: Claim on IEEE1275
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:36:30 -0600

On Jan 1, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

I've tested this patch (attached to prevent line-wrapping) on the briQ, but there's some other problem (not caused by the patch) that hangs after "boot". I'm not going to test Old World now, as there are some more fundamental problems there.

It has been pointed out to me that a simpler fix would just be to ignore map failures. That sounds better to me... we *are* supposed to use map, but the first 32 MB or so are probably already mapped anyways on most systems.

Likely the error occurs because "map" is meaningless in real-mode, and Codegen chose to return an error in this case. I was told an implementation in real-mode *may* provide an mmu node, so things seem rather open-ended in this situation.

The patch I sent earlier may get us into trouble if we want to load things on New World that happen to fall outside the already-mapped region (like large ramdisks). I think a better plan would be:
1) only call map in virtual mode
2) *and* ignore map errors. We could report them as warnings in a verbose mode for remote debugging.

-Hollis