grub-devel

Re: Partition modules

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Partition modules
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:58:14 +0000

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:46, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> The BSD disklabel is a weird special case.  Perhaps we need some kind
>> of nested partitions or so.  I don't know if that will make sense
>> because I have no knowledge about BSD slices and how they are used.
>
> Take a look at this:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disk-organization.html
>
> Note that you can make a BSD disklabel without any PC partition, if you
> wish. This is not supported by GRUB legacy (except for floppies).

Thanks a lot for this information.

If I understand the GRUB 2 partition code correctly, such partition is
identified with only a command, right?  For example: (hd0,,a).  Am I
right about this?

At the moment the partition (slice) type is checked to figure out if
there is a BSD partition.  If so, the BSD partitions are iterated.
How about the apple, amiga, etc?  Does it work the same?  Otherwise
code might be shared.

Because I do not have *BSD installed on any system I can not work on
this, but it might be worthwhile to think about this and make it a
todo item related to the PPC port.

Thanks,
Marco