grub-devel

Re: Partition modules

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Partition modules
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:46:17 +0000

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thursday 18 November 2004 04:50, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>> I do have an objection here: members like "bsd_type" don't belong in
>> a generic struct, but rather in grub_partition_bsd_type. I believe
>> grub_partition should be the abstraction, i.e. what defines a
>> partition in the general sense. start, len, and index are obviously
>> good; offset is compensating for a DOS issue, though at least it has
>> (irrelevant) meaning for an Apple map... but ext_offset and these
>> dos_ and bsd_ things don't belong here IMHO.
>
> I agree with you in theory... but I guess it is a bit difficult to make
> BSD disklabel independent, because it is sometimes used alone and it is
> sometimes nested in other partition types. I hope Marco will find out a
> good solution here.

It should not be too hard.  The extra members are only used in
specific parts of the code, mainly in the i386/pc directories.
Perhaps I could add a member which points to a user defined data
structure.  In that datastructure the extra information can be stored.

The BSD disklabel is a weird special case.  Perhaps we need some kind
of nested partitions or so.  I don't know if that will make sense
because I have no knowledge about BSD slices and how they are used.

Thanks,
Marco