grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] soft-float

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] soft-float
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:18:14 +0200

> "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wednesday 06 October 2004 09:10, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> >> Are there _any_? I would expect that a bootloader gets along nicely
> >> without FP instructions at all.
> >
> > I agree. GRUB should not use floating point at all. Marco, can you
> > describe why you need floating point?
>
> There is grub_ftoa and in commands/ls.c it is used to print the size
> of files like "2.5k" or so.
>
> --
> Marco

This can be done with integers, if we define some 'human big number
format', or so. But I think that FP/FPE is more generic problem,
because of modularity of grub.

It seems to me that some combinations (like grub with FP emul, and
module with FP instructions) may not work. I think, there should be
left (compiletime) decision on user if she want to use FP emul. So
I'm voting for having possibility to use FP instructions, at least
on platforms where it is possible easily.
--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik