grub-devel

Re: Automagic command loading

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Automagic command loading
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:05:10 +0000

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wednesday 29 September 2004 23:38, Tomas Ebenlendr wrote:
>> Disadvantage: current solution slowly reads the contens of directory.
>> This is probably caused by opening files by /full/ path, where we
>> principially have opened directory (and resolved path to it.).
>
> I think this is a critical problem. For example, if the user has a
> broken module which may crash GRUB, the user can easily break GRUB by
> trying a non-existent command.

As far as I understood what Tomas said, the modules are loaded and
only the new section is checked.  So it will not be initialized.

> Also, if my understanding is correct, the list of modules is stored in a
> binary form. This means that the user cannot (easily) modify the list
> after building GRUB.

Every module contains the list of commands it exports, AFAIK.  So the
is no single big central list.

> The advantage of autocmd.lst is that it makes customization much easier.
> Suppose that the user wants to add a new command and build his own
> module. Then, how to autoload this command?

The new module will contain this specific section as well.

--
Marco