grub-devel

Re: booting another system from running linux (kexec)

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: booting another system from running linux (kexec)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:01:19 +0000

Johan Rydberg <address@hidden> writes:

> Tomas Ebenlendr <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> : Scripting and dhcp are both issues that we want in grub2. [...]
>
> Have there been any discussion on how the scripting language will look
> like?  Will it be a simple language, specific to GRUB2, or will it
> some other language be re-used.

No, there was not much discussion about this.

> I would love to see a powerful scripting language, something like
> Scheme.  But I'm not sure how usefull it would be.  Scheme is a very
> simple, but yet powerful language that can very well be used for
> scripting.  I'm not sure, though, that it fits into the context of
> GRUB2.

IMHO something bash-like would be the best.  Everyone knows these kind
of languages.  And the config file will look a lot like the one of
GRUB Legacy.

That is the problem of scheme, most people don't know it.  For me it
is important that someone who wants a simple scripting feature don't
have to learn a completely new language.  I assume most uses of GRUB
are not programmers.

Thanks,
Marco