grub-devel

Re: booting another system from running linux (kexec)

From: Tomas Ebenlendr
Subject: Re: booting another system from running linux (kexec)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:30:27 +0200

> Another way to solve this would be to add scripting, dhcp, rsync and writing
> to linux-fs/ntfs directly into grub. But I think that is a huge task and not
> flexible enough.

That is what is grub2 supposed, It will have modules. Anyone can write
his own modules, and have grub2 installed from his distro. (If we will
not believe that, we will probably not choose to implement grub2, at
least in this way....). But grub2 is not stable (nor beta) yet. I don't
know if current state can be considered as alpha (probably yes).

Ad flexibility: you can always boot any system to do the hard work, and
then reboot the system from script. Grub then needs only to know that
hard work should be done. (This means no fs-write support, and you can
choose between compatibility with rsync, and other way of updating. If
your updates are stored centrally, you can use 'timestamps'. If
timestamp on your os is older than timpestamp obtained from server, the
hard work should be done.)
Scripting and dhcp are both issues that we want in grub2. Sounds this
reasonable to you?

--
                                 Tomas 'ebi' Ebenlendr
                                 http://get.to/ebik