grub-devel

Re: editing a menu entry

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: editing a menu entry
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:35:18 +0200

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 18:09, Marco Gerards wrote:
> That is nice!  Have you thought about using tab completion here?

Not yet completely. Probably we will want to have a common completion
routine shared by menu editing and command-line handling. In the menu
interface, I think we can use some different ways to show candidates
potentially:

1. Show a list of available things (devices/files/commands) at the
bottom of the screen (out of the menu box).

2. Split the menu box temporarily and show a list.

3. Overwrite a list on the menu box with the colors flipped (white
background and black foreground) temporarily.

I think 1 and 3 are zsh-like, and 1 and 2 are Emacs-like. 1 is the
easiest to implement, but it can show very few candidates at a time.

> AFAIK emacs has combinations of keys because there are not enough
> keys for every function.  I don't think GRUB will ever have this
> problem so an unusual key would be the best IMHO.  It is easier for
> users and easier to implement.

Actually, we need a key to enter the command-line interface as well as
one to boot. So maybe C-c for a command-line and C-x for booting. I
don't want to use C-z, C-w or C-q, because the positions are different
between QWERTY and AZERTY.

Okuji