grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] fix grub_ofconsole_cls on Old World

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] fix grub_ofconsole_cls on Old World
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:35:14 -0500

On Sep 14, 2004, at 10:34 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Hollis Blanchard <address@hidden> writes:

        (grub_ofconsole_cls): instead of ^L, use an ANSI escape sequence and
        grub_gotoxy(0,0) manually.

What I did is correct according to IEEE 1275, IIRC.

Remember that there is no guarantee any particular IEEE1275 implementation has followed all of the IEEE1275 spec. *Particularly* on Old World Macintosh.

I assume you are
using a terminal emulator that connects to your mac using a serial
line.  So in this case we are fixing GRUB to behave like what your
terminal emulator expects, instead of the ANSI subset used by IEEE
1275.  Am I correct?

Hrm, it seems you are correct.

When I enter ^L in a bash shell and log the output, I see that it has really emitted "^[[H^[[J". When I print ^L from GRUB, I see that it has really emitted ^L.

'screen' is the only convenient terminal emulator for me, and when it receives ^L it apparently doesn't do anything (it does correctly interpret the ANSI sequence above). However, when I use minicom, the screen clears correctly with ^L. I'm willing to bet that minicom also correctly interprets the ANSI sequence.

It would be better to have something like a simple termcap database in
GRUB.  It could be very simple, I think.
[snip]
Is this idea I have crazy and is there another way to do this?

You're scaring me. :) It would be nice to allow screen to work, but at the cost of implementing termcap in a bootloader? I think it could be put on the "known bugs" list and addressed later.

Isn't it worth it to require ANSI support for now, which increases the number of working terminal emulators? We already depend on ANSI for moving the cursor at least. If you do end up implementing a termcap (which I do think is extreme), all ANSI dependencies could be fixed at once.

-Hollis