grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] add "enter" command

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] add "enter" command
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:06:29 -0500

On Sep 14, 2004, at 7:54 AM, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 13:50, M. Gerards wrote:
Actually, we can make it something generic.  I can imagine it is
possible to go back to the firmware with other kinds of firmware
as well.  How about something unix like, "suspend" for example.
Other than that we could implement generic commands like "exit",
"reboot", "halt", "powerdown", for example.

"suspend" looks good. It is impossible on PC, though.

"reboot" and "halt" are nice. They are implemented for GRUB Legacy and I
want them in GRUB 2 as well.

"reboot" and "halt" will also be implemented as commands that call Open Firmware, but since the user wouldn't see that I think it would be ok to name the "enter" command "openfirmware".

On the other hand is such a thing possible under e.g. EFI firmware? Perhaps we should name it a more generic "firmware", just as "reboot" can be expected to work across architectures (if we were naming things OF-style we would call that "reset-all").

-Hollis