grub-devel

Re: Open Firmware: search devalias children for disks

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: Open Firmware: search devalias children for disks
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 23:13:40 -0500

On Sep 1, 2004, at 4:05 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

Absolutely!  Have you tested the linux loader, BTW?

I'm pleased to report that I just got Linux 2.6 booted via grub2 on Old World Macintosh. I was having trouble with a 2.2.19 kernel before that (yes, I haven't touched this box in that long), but 2.6 did the trick. :D

I removed the BAT mappings from cmain.c and instead used OF's "map" method to map in the kernel. Strangely enough, "claim" does not create mappings (this is explicitly stated in IEEE1275). Avoiding BATs may not be necessary at the moment, but it's worth pointing out that POWER4 and POWER5 chips lack BAT translation registers...

FYI, the linux loader didn't need any modifications other than adding a "map" call-method in addition to the current "claim".

-Hollis