grub-devel

Re: patch for PPC Old World Macintosh

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: patch for PPC Old World Macintosh
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:27:04 +0200

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 04:12, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> Hmm. I think the i386 loader doesn't worry about such things, but
> rather loads the kernel in a fixed region?

Here is a short description about how GRUB/i386-pc works:

1. At the initialization stage, GRUB reserves about 2/3 of the whole
memory for OS images. This starts from 1MB. GRUB never use this region
for its own use.

2. When GRUB boots an OS image actually, GRUB releases all memory
regions which have been allocated for its own use.

3. GRUB copies OS images to appropriate locations, according to
Multiboot Header or other information. This stage is performed by the
kernel (more precisely, the assembly code located at the region
starting from 0x8000).

I think you can use the same way on Mac as well.

Okuji