grub-devel

Re: problems compiling NTFS on GRUB2

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: problems compiling NTFS on GRUB2
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:44:23 +0200

"lode leroy" <address@hidden> writes:

> Would you have suggestions on compile flags needed to compile libntfs
> for grub? (now they are -g -O2 -MT -MD -KP -MF )

It looks fine to me.

>>I don't think it is easy and clean to use libntfs.
>
> I figure that libntfs was intended to be " a library to avoid code
> duplication
> and provide access to NTFS to other GPLed programs " therefore
> I assume that using this effort would result in the better solution.

But would this be the right solution for GRUB?

>>But the best way to implement NTFS is by writing it yourself.  It is
>>on my todo already, or do you want to do this?
>
> I have no intention whatsoever to implement an ntfs driver... providing
> the glue between grub and libntfs is/should be a much smaller effort...
> Unless you're telling me trying to do this is a lost effort?

Personally I don't like it much to link against an external library to
get filesystem support.  I would only consider doing such thing when
the filesystem structure changes very often, like reiser4.

One problem is that external symbols are required by the library, many
of which we do not have.  Another problem is that the binary gets a
lot bigger.

Okuji has to decide about this, this is not up to me.

>>Another thing to consider is its size.
> ntfs.mod is 74KB . I don't thinks thats insurmountable...

Most other filesystem modules are between 3 and 7KB.

--
Marco